Alrighty guys! Time to crack down on these blogs, and this time I’m going to be discussing what I learned through researching modular workflows earlier in the trimester, and how that helped me be more efficient in creating my assets.
However, I’ve since researched a little bit more over the past week and am also going to cover how I could have improved my workflows to be even more efficient.
So! For my earlier on in the tri, I wanted to brush up and possibly improve my own workflows, and the CaveIn The Sky project allowed me to do just that. So firstly, I followed just a simple workflow tutorial found here: Lunplus Concept Art Workflow
It outlines a basic 5 step process for concepting pieces:
- Sketch out your basic idea
- Fill in the background, as it sets the overall mood for the entire piece
- Add the base colours, make sure they tie in with the background and the colours work with each other
- Apply highlights and shadows to create depth.
- Create a focus point to complete the piece.
Now when I started concepting for CITS, I looked at this and realised that my workflow was a little less structured than this, even though it’s so simple! So I took these steps into account to create these four pieces:
Now obviously, I’m not happy with them. I’m not sure if any artist really is truly happy with their art, but anyway! I’ll keep working on things and hopefully over time, I’ll improve!
I also took these things into account when concepting for my final project piece: Utangard. With it being a viking game, I was tasked with coming up with various landscape ideas… Honestly I feel like a butt because I’m actually truly terrible at background art, so taking on this task was stupid.What takes one artist maybe 1 hour to make a piece like these takes me 3+. I’ve got a bad eye for composition and setting up shots that work with the mood I’m trying to portray, but again, hopefully over time I’ll improve 🙂
This was definitely a good challenge for me, even if it was poorly timed and unwise of me to take on something so time consuming.
We’ve since altered the style of the game, so I’ll be able to brush my skills up on the other things I’ve learned… which I’ll tell you about now!
So after I made all of these and realised that my work could definitely use some improvement, I started researching into ways to help me tackle my problem areas: Composition, lighting, and focus.
I stumbled across this PDF: Concept Art Tutorial
HOORAY I’M SAVED. Not really, but it’s incredibly useful!
This artist, Maurice Beumers, builds from his initial concepts, and turns them into finished, correctly composited pieces of art.
After deciding how he wants the image to be composited, he then goes ahead to use the golden ratio to arrange the main areas of focus. This, this tip is incredibly useful. I have to keep it in mind when working on more concepts later 😀
He then goes and blocks out shapes for the foreground, midground and background quite roughly, to get a more informed idea of placement.
Here is where he adds colours on another layer to further define the main shapes.
After this, he tweaks the lineart and makes it more clean for the final image. Theh he goes ahead and starts to add more textures and highlights. He also starts to really put the main areas into focus by blurring out the background slightly, as well as the shadowy parts of the image.
After he adds any last textures/details, it’s nearly complete. He simply colour corrects in order to convey the right atmosphere that he wants. Below is what the final image looks like:
This tutorial has really helped me. It’s given me more of an insight into more technical techniques to ensure my concepts will be composited correctly, and in a way that conveys what I really want to the viewer. Hopefully I’ll be able to implement this new knowledge into my work soon!